Xero has many features to be discovered and loved (if you’re able to feel that strongly about accounting software)! One such feature – which we regularly recommend to our clients – is the ability to record expenses using the mobile app.
An expense claim is a receipt from personal spending that needs to be reimbursed by the business. An example might be a pay and display parking ticket that you have paid for personally to facilitate a client meeting.
So, here’s our step by step guide…
1. Ensure you have your Xero login details to hand.
2. Download the Xero app from your app store (if you haven’t already).
3. Login to the Xero app using your existing login details (we recommend setting up the ‘Touch ID’ security feature).
4. From the icons across the bottom of the screen, select ‘Receipts’.
5. Click on the ‘+’ icon at the top of the screen.
6. Go through the prompted fields filling in all the details:
7. Click on the ‘Attach Files’ button and choose to take a photo or attach an existing photo (if you’ve already taken a picture of the receipt):
8. When complete, select ‘Add’ at the top righthand side of the screen and – depending on the user access of the claimant – select the relevant option. Most directors will be able to select ‘submit and approve’ to complete the expense record:
9. The expense claim now forms part of your bookkeeping records.
10. Expense claims to be paid can be viewed via the ‘Expense Claims’ section from your Xero dashboard.
This feature provides an instant, on-the-go solution to ensure all expenses are claimed and recorded…rather than disappearing into the depths of your glovebox; never to return!
If you have any questions about Xero features, please don’t hesitate to ask…and keep an eye out here for future tips and tricks.
Till next time!